PSAT Test Information
This fall Batavia High School will host the PSAT on Wednesday October 10th for junior students. This test is approximately 2 hours and 45 minutes long and takes place during the school day. This test is practice for the SAT and will determine if students qualify for National Merit Scholarships. This is the only time and date this test will be given. This test is completely optional for students and you must register to take the exam. Registration will close on September 20th. Students who need accommodations must register by September 10th to ensure proper materials are ordered.
ALL students who register to take the PSAT will need to complete a MANDATORY pre-administration session during late start on Thursday, September 27th at 7:15 am. in the Batavia Fine Arts Center.
Who benefits from the PSAT/NMSQT?
- This PSAT is primarily for high achieving junior students who would like to earn National Merit Scholarships. This is the ONLY opportunity students will get to qualify.
- Students will be given other opportunities to practice for the SAT as well.
What type of score is needed to qualify for National Merit Scholarships?
- Juniors will need to score in the top 1% in the nation to be eligible for the National Merit Scholarship competition. Students who do well on standardized tests are good candidates to compete.
What does the test look like?
|Total Testing Time||2 hours and 45 minutes|
|Score Reporting||Scores will be reported on a shared common score scale with the SAT: The scale ranges for the PSAT/NMSQT and PSAT 10 scores are 320–1520 for the total score, 160–760 for each of two section scores, and 8–38 for test scores.|
|Subscore Reporting||Subscores for every test, providing added insight for students, parents, educators, and counselors|
If I currently receive testing accommodations at BHS, would I be able to use those on the PSAT?
- If you already have approved accommodations, you will be able to use them on this exam BUT you must register for the exam no later than September 10th, 2018. College Board will not allow us to order exams with accommodations after this date.
- If you do not have approved accommodations, paperwork needs to be turned in before May 31st, 2018.
- You can start the process by completing this form.
This sounds perfect for me! What are the details?
- Registration will open on September 1st and close September 20th. It will be available here and you will also get an email. Only students will be able to complete the form while logged into their BPS101.net account.
- Fees will be assessed on September 20th for all that have registered. Once the fee is assessed, families will need to pay by September 25th to retain their seat.
If you are currently a homeschooled student in Batavia, you may register to take this test by emailing Mrs. Stern. You can mail or drop off a check at Batavia High School, attention Kristen Stern.
Before the Test
- Registered students will need to complete a pre-administration session during Late Start on September 21st at 7:15 am. Students who do not complete a Pre-Administration session will not be allowed to take the exam.
- Need text reminders? Click here!
Day of Test
- Students should report to the BHS cafeteria or Black Box by 7:10 am.
- Students should bring several #2 pencils, a calculator and some form of photo ID (a student ID is acceptable)
- Students will not be allowed to bring any electronic devices (except a calculator) to the testing room. Bags and purses will not be allowed and should be left at home or in the student’s car or locker. Staff will not be responsible for items not allowed in testing room.